According to Jeff Bertolucci of PCWorld the best time to buy a brand new PC is when there are the holiday sales, such as Black Friday, the new sales when the new school year is approaching, or when newer products come to stores around January or February. Stores generally start selling the older models of the computers for a better price when the newer models come in.
Bertolucci says that the best way to determine what PC suits you is the how much power one needs for their computer. If the activities you do are just surfing the Web or Microsoft Word, then you may be able to get away with just an older computer. This would fall under the January and February sales events. Although the computers are still brand new, an older model just might do the trick and save you hundreds of dollars. The top two online places to buy a sellout computer model would be:
HP Business Outlet
These two outlets not only have closeout deals but also refurbished and overstocked laptops and desktops. An example Bertolucci gives is that a refurbished computer sold for $700, but the in-store price was till well over a thousand dollars.
According to Harry McCracken of PCWorld he has given the top eight reasons as to why a PC is suited for you:
- For those of you who actually enjoy the choices of all of the PCs, you’ve come to the right place. There are so many varieties and models it’s hard to take in. For those of you who like to have a lightweight, portable computer to a larger screened computer, PCs have it all. The possibilities are endless: there are computers that are just for gamers, people who like to design, and also ones for people who can’t stand to type. What McCracken emphasizes the most is that there is bound to be a PC especially designed for you and your needs, unlike a MAC where there are only a select few.
- There are payment options that won’t drain the bank like a MAC. PCs aim to have enough payment fluctuations where everyone can afford a computer. McCracken says that Apple offers cheaper computers, however, the sellers tend to pass over the cheap ones to get more people to buy the pricier ones. The cheapest MAC costs almost $1,000 whereas there are over 70 Windows computers that cost less than that.
- PC features last longer than MACs do. For example, PCs actually offer memory card readers, HDTV hookups, TV tuners, even Blu-ray options and they’re affordable! Although MAC offers some of those options through apps, they do not offer all that PCs offer.
- There are better software choices when it comes to PCs. Software companies have a range of software that fits the specific kind of computer or task you have. There is certain software for merrily just keeping an eye on a special collection of yours to even your own business. The possibilities are endless and that’s what software companies strive to do for their customers. While MACs have them, there are fewer and do not reach the exotic length as PCs’ do.
- People who choose the PC life get special treatment. For example, for seven months now PC users have had access to Google Chrome. What PC has over MACs is that Google is still trying to work on the compatibility with MACs. They are currently still working on the software. Another app that comes automatically with PC is Kodak’s video camera. Although Kodak is able to work with MAC, people who have a MAC have to download it themselves. One of the best apps is that PC’s version of Microsoft Office which is more powerful that MAC’s version of Office.
- One of the best features yet is how you can personalize every single detail from beginning to end. The nice thing is that anyone can do it with the simple and easy-to-follow steps that are offered online. McCracken says that after people work with this choice, they most likely wouldn’t go to the store to pick a pre-made one out. While Apple is currently working on the same feature, it is nowhere near completion or even ready to test. It is merely an idea.
- While MAC keeps pushing the fact that they are better than PCs, many people will say that is untrue, especially the gamers. While Apple did come up with a system compatible for gamers, it is still nowhere close to as good as PC’s. What is also nice is that the computer features are compatible with the TV that is already in your home, unlike the MAC. Apple is coming out with the same feature; however, they are requiring you to buy the Apple TV in order for it to work.
- Certain websites only require that Internet Explorer be used. Although it is a rather annoying feature for even PCs, it still means that PC and Microsoft still have more power over MAC. Another feature is add-ons like TurboTax which only require Windows in order to run, so that means that MACs cannot be used when it comes to doing taxes.